How to renew or replace your Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)

Before 1989, if you got a green card, it was good forever. However, after 1989, green cards were only issued for 10 years at a time. If you have one of these green cards, you need to renew it before it expires. If you have an older green card, you need to renew it because the old one is no longer valid. The process is very simple once you know all the steps.

Why should I renew my Green Card?

Your green card is proof that you are a lawful permanent resident (“LPR”) of the United States. If it expires, you will no longer have this proof that you are allowed to live in the U.S. and it can cause you problems. Not only will you have trouble re-entering the U.S. after traveling, but you may also have trouble getting or keeping a job. This is because your green card is like a work permit.

When should I renew my Green Card?

You should renew your green card six months before it expires. However, you can renew it at any time during the last six months before it expires.

What if my green card has already expired?

It is better to renew your green card before it expires, but if you forgot or didn’t realize it was going to expire, don’t worry! You can still renew it and there is no penalty – you will not have to pay anything extra. You will receive a temporary green card that you can use.

How do I renew my green card?

First, you will need to obtain Form I-90, “Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card”. You can get this form from your local United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (“USCIS”) office or you can download it right now for FREE from our website without ever leaving the comfort of your home. Fill it out very carefully, double-checking to make sure there are no mistakes. Be sure to include a copy of your old permanent resident card and any other proof you may need (such as a copy of your marriage certificate or a court form if your name has changed). Then mail it in and wait. You will receive a letter telling you to go to the local USCIS office to have your biometrics taken and pick up your new card. The biometrics are just a photo and some fingerprints. Be sure to bring your passport and some extra passport photos just in case you need them!

How much does it cost to renew a Green Card?

It currently costs $365 to renew your green card, which you must mail in with your Form I-90. You may also have to pay $85 for biometrics. All money must be paid by check or money order made payable to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security”.

What if I am outside the United States?

If you return before your green card expires, just wait until you get home and then file your paperwork. If you have not yet left and you know you will not return before your card expires, file the renewal paperwork and pick up your temporary green card before you leave. If you did not renew your card before you left and your card is about to expire, contact the nearest U.S. consulate, USCIS office, or U.S. port of entry, then follow their instructions
when filing your Form I-90.

What if my temporary green card has expired and I don’t have my new green card?

Don’t worry! You can go to the USCIS office and get another temporary green card to use until your new green card arrives in the mail.

How do I find out the status of my green card renewal application?

First, you will need your receipt number. Then you can find the “My Case Status” link on the USCIS website ( and enter the number. If you have a question, you can call USCIS Customer Service at 1-800-375-5283.

What happens if my green card renewal application is denied?

You cannot appeal the denial of a green card renewal application. However, you can file a motion to reopen or reconsider with the same office that made the decision. A motion to reopen must include new facts and evidence. A motion to reconsider must show that immigration law or policy was misapplied.

Where can I get the form I need to renew my green card?

You can get the form for FREE from our website! Some places will charge you $30 or more for this form, but we will email it to you so you can keep it forever and use it the next time you need it.